Pizza: A commonly free food on campus. Photo: MMChicago.
6. Try Free Food on Campus. This website seems to be just getting off the ground. Join and you can help spread the word about events.
5. Seek a local group of grazers. Some college's have local Facebook groups for students looking for a free lunch.
4. Like art? Go to art exhibition openings. These are almost always accompanied by snacks. See if your town has a regulary "Gallery Walk." Think pub crawl, but with cheese cubes and art.
3. Join the listservs of departments or organizations that interest you and ask to be put on their mailing list or listserv or look for their page on Facebook.
2. Keep tabs on online campus and community calendars.
1. Read notices and posters. Old-fashioned paper flyers posted around campus are still a good way to find out about events and receptions.